Thursday, August 7, 2014

Butterfly Snack Bags

Somehow I always end up getting signed up as snack helper during the first week of school.  But really, that works out okay for me because classes haven't started back for me yet at the university so that makes it a little easier; and also, it gives the kids an opportunity to be the classroom helper for the day, which I think is a good ice breaker for them.  Our schools really prefer that we send healthy snacks for the kids, and you know that I'm on board with that, so these cute little butterfly snack bags are what we chose to make for "round 1" of snack helper.  FYI - This academic year, I'll have kids in the 11th, 9th, 1st, and kindergarten!  Lord have mercy on me!     

These snack bags give the students a balanced and healthy snack of fruit, cheese, and crackers.  It's not messy, and very kid friendly!  I'm hoping that the bright colors and the cute packaging will make it even more fun to eat. 

There's not really a recipe, as you could put whatever you wanted to in them.  Here's what I used:

Ingredients:   
  • Red and green seedless grapes
  • Multicolored goldfish snack crackers
  • Individually wrapped string cheese 
Craft supplies
  • Snack sized zip top bags
  • Wooden clothespins
  • Fuzzy pipe cleaners, cut in half
  • Googly eyes
  • Glue (like Elmer's) 

Step-by-Step:    
By all means, if your young elementary-aged child, or even preschooler is making these for their class, please enlist their help.  So many elements of this project is beneficial to them.  Even if it is just sorting or counting out the grapes for the bags - it's all part of the learning process.

I recommend gluing the googly eyes onto the clothespin first, so they will have time to dry.
We found that 10 - 11 grapes worked best in each bag, depending on the size.
Add a small handful of goldfish to the other side of the bag.  Pinch the bag together in the middle to keep the contents separate with the clothespin.  Cut a pipe cleaner in half and fold it into antennae.  Place the antennae into the "mouth" of the clip.
I used Elmer's Glue-All on the rounded side of the string cheese so that it would rest on the flat side for more stability.
Press the butterfly firmly down onto the glue and set somewhere to dry for a while, like on a large cookie sheet.
And then you have these cute little guys!
...Who sort of multiply into a whole happy little butterfly colony!
I have them all on cookie sheets, as I mentioned, so that I can pop then back into the refrigerator while the glue is drying.  This is where they will stay until we are ready to bring them to school.
Some other things you could fill them with?  Hmmmm.... raisins, trail mix, granola, nuts, berries, dried fruit, dry cereal, mini pepperonis.  I guess your imagination is the only limit. 
You'll notice that the top of the cheese in the photos is nice and round.  This is where the package has a split for easy opening.  It thought it looked too tall, so I folded it back and just taped it down.  That's optional, but I just wanted you to know what I did for the sake of clarity.  There are also other varieties of individually wrapped cheeses available (cheddar, cheddar/jack, etc).  But string cheese is very mild, and pretty well accepted by lots of kiddos.  It's fun to eat because it pulls apart into "strings," hence the name, and tastes similar to mozzarella.

Looking for more healthy snacks for kids?
Check out this wonderful resource - 


I hope you enjoyed this simple and healthy snack idea!
There are hundreds more recipes in my Recipe Index, just waiting to be chosen and cooked!  You can also visit my Film strips for pinning page, to see whole recipes at a glance, and to click-and-go right to the recipe.

The Menu Musings cookbook is sure to be a hit at your house, and will make great gifts!  For more information, here is a link!
Order a copy of the Menu Musings Cookbook! 
menumusings.com
Connect with me.    
If you are new to MenuMusings, click here to subscribe so you won't miss a thing!  I'll send you notifications of new posts to help you avoid that proverbial cooking rut.  You can also follow me on Pinterest and on the MenuMusings facebook page.

Also, Please be sure to visit my YouTube Channel for short video tutorials on selected videos.  Watch me explain the steps of the recipes in just a few minutes!  Just one more way that I'm giving you the tools to get in that kitchen!!! Aren't you curious?  Click and see how many there are!  :)

Here's just one exampleStuffed Zucchini.   Yum!!!

Here are some bonus recipes for you!
One Pot Skillet Lasagna
Honey Maple Granola
Grilled Chicken Southwestern Chopped Salad with Creamy Cilantro Dressing
Tomato Basil Chicken
Fruit Pizza
Sun Dried Tomato Chicken

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! I think I'll be using it for my little boy's 2 year birthday snack at daycare. Fun, yet healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I think that will be perfect! Though be aware, your day care facility will likely require that you cut the grapes in half so they won't be considered a choking hazard for 2 year olds (verses serving them whole). But in half just means they can gobble them up more easily! :)

      Delete
  2. They are so cute and such a great idea to involve kids! Thanks for coming and linking up at The Weekend Social. All posts get pinned in our pinterest board! Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST on culinaryflavors.gr ! I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for providing a fun and creative snack idea! I plan to bring Scrabble Cheeze its and grapes for my son's Kindergarten class Wednesday. Did you have any trouble refrigerating these items together until you brought them to class? Specifically the goldfish. I have to drop off the snack in the morning, but they store them until they have snack time later at 2pm. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to separate them and could still do this idea ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a problem refrigerating them. I put them on cookie sheet pans perpendicular to each other so nothing gets messed up and they always come out great. Sorry for the delayed response - your message was in my spam folder (since it was "unknown.")

      Delete
  4. absolutely delicious creation,will try it soon
    view our blog.
    Food In USA

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest